Sunday, January 27, 2019

“Ish” is not Enough

August 2018

 
Perhaps like me, you’ve discovered that “-ish” has become quite a popular expression. I’ve asked someone how they are doing, and gotten a response of “ish.” In other languages it might be “como si, como sa,” “asi asi,” or “metza-metza,” but however you say it, it means, “I’m okay; not terrible, not great.”

But “ish” is spreading. I’ve now seen t-shirts embossed with “adultish,” which I can appreciate, having my own childish moments. Then there is “thirtyish,” a stretch for someone like me who ought to wear “fiftyish.” My favorite is a t-shirt with the word “fitish,” followed by “someone who likes the idea of being fit, but also really likes food.” A t-shirt that fits me to a T!

It is no wonder, then, that a book has been published entitled Christianish. In it, Mark Steele challenges Christians to examine their relationship with Jesus Christ, asking if we satisfied with being “Christianish.” That is, sort of Christian.

To help us answer that, Steele offers several questions for Christians to ask themselves, which for the broader readership of The Morning Call I will broaden. “Which takes priority: being the kind of believer others think I should be, or actually following the One in whom I believe?” Next, “Have I divided up my life so that my faith affects part of my life, but leaves other areas untouched?” And, “Does my feeling of being a faithful believer largely depend upon completing a checklist of rules and regulations?”

The author observes that many Christians talk about certain big, bad sins, but overlook other sins. You may not commit adultery, but gossip and pride are okay. You may consider homosexuality a sin, but not greed and lying. Abortion may be unforgivable in your eyes, but ignoring the poor is acceptable.

All of which leaves this Christian wondering about the “faithfulish” of any religion who are able to overlook all manner of behavior in favor of what they see as “a greater good.” And, as a proponent of the separation of church and state, I am saddened by about how “Americanish” this nation has become.

What is “sort of American”? If we condone leaders and officials who use their office to pad their own nest, that is Americanish. When the freedom of speech that allows us to sing the national anthem is denied to those who would kneel during that same anthem, that is Americanish. If actions are taken that restrict certain people’s ability to vote or exercise their rights, that is Americanish. And this country’s ideals say that we are better than that.

Just as Christians confess that we always fall short of the glory of God, any honest American must realize that this country has not lived up to its ideals. For too long “all men are created equal” really meant only men. And even now “all” doesn’t really mean all. We aspire to these national ideals, even if we still have a lot of work ahead to achieve them.

For people of faith and for people of this nation, honesty and humility demand that we admit to continually falling short of our ideals. And yet confession, repentance, and change for the better are possible because of those same higher callings.

Quoting Scripture or carrying a Bible doesn’t make anyone a Christian; that is a matter of living our faith. Similarly, wearing red, white, and blue and standing for the national anthem does not make anyone an American. Because if my exercise of being an American inhibits someone else’s constitutionally-given rights as an American, then whatever else I am, I am only “Americanish.”

In matters of faith and nation, “ish” is not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment