Saturday, April 17, 2021

January 2021

 

We live in contentious times, with people divided on so many things. I know that everyone doesn’t see things the way I do. You may be surprised to hear this, but I don’t always agree with you.

Maybe you’re not surprised at all, given that we can disagree even with those whom we are closest. Honestly, many of you have probably realized I frequently disagree with myself! I’m in good company. Paul writes “I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.”

You’ve heard me speak on the importance of humility, that even if we think we are right, we should be no more than 99% sure; there should always be at least 1% of us wondering if the other might be right.

Our different opinions and perspectives are real, but they are never complete. At best we see through a glass darkly. So what if instead of emphasizing our incomplete understanding, we focused our view on the only One who is capable of making us whole: Jesus, who unites us not because of our understanding, but his faithfulness.

In My Utmost for His Highest, Oswald Chambers writes, “Paul was devoted to a Person, not to a cause. He was absolutely Jesus Christ’s. He saw nothing else, and he lived for nothing else.”

As your pastor, I swear to God and all the hosts of heaven, that my care for will not be dimmed, regardless of how we see things. You are more than your ideas to me, whether or not I agree with them. And I hope you see me that way as well.

Lent is often turned into taking things on (such as spiritual disciplines) or laying things down (like favorite foods). This Lent, with all of the stresses of COVID-19, I invite you to lay down taking on too much. Life is stressful enough.

But where you can, instead of making agreement or disagreement your focus, which we know only in part, “Behold the Lamb of God” in each person.

Take on the practice of finding Christ within the other, and him crucified.

Wishing you a blessed Lent

No comments:

Post a Comment