Thursday, June 5, 2014

Foothills Trail South Carolina 2013



10/19
After packing and re-packing until almost the last minute, I left on 19/18 at 10:30 (30 minutes later than planned) for the six hour drive to Buchanan VA. Uneventful trip, nice weather, occasional traffic, two ten minutes naps and a visit to the outside of Stonewall Jackson’s headquarters. Need to go back to Winchester VA. Got to Ross’ at 5:30, after being unable to cross through town because of the homecoming parade. Gas: $3.13!

Great to visit with Doug and Gale, and Eddie and Connie Johnson. Easy to talk to, down to earth folks, caught up on ife, kids, some church (still a touchy subject?) But up until 11:30 — too late! — to see highlights of big Lord Botetot win.

Still woke up at 6:30am, on road by 8:30, 2 short naps and finally, BBQ at Greg’s Famous BBQ in Statesville VA. Delish!

Met Steve Silberberg (SJS to my SHS) on entering hotel. He asked my name quickly on my entrance. Made two bags of trail mix (2/3 of a quart bag) with M&Ms (or “M, M, Ms” as hiker Kasia says, her native Polish winning the day), nuts, Jordan almonds, mini-pretzels, some dried fruit. I had a variety of body measurements taken (less a matter of accuracy than baseline), found I have the body of a 50-year-old. Could be worse! I also took Tuesday afternoon’s lunch, a bit heavier than some other bear bags, but I’m hear for the workout nd feeling fit enough, and I haven’t met the other hikers to see whether they need my help or I need theirs! I talked a bit with guide Dan, who reviewed, edited, and okayed my gear. Met roommate Sam (seemed a bit odd, then thinking perhaps Aspergers). Downtime until dinner at 5:45.

Ate at Copper River Grill. Have already gone through everyone’s names about three times, getting better, I hope. Eclectic mix. Hard to hear everyone and their introductions, but by now there are some folks I feel more comfortable with than others, some I’m downright ready to avoid (Roger, who introduced himself as “Steve” several times because of the number of Steves on the trip, who I think may be alienating others by saying people were on hike “because Kasia said so.” Clearly they know each other from previous hike(s), given they’ve both done double-digit Fitpacking. Still, if I were her I’d feel a bit uncomfortable. Got plan for next day, and some sense of days ahead. Once again, “what have I gotten myself into to?” rears up. Hard to get a sense of capability around the table. I know nothing, but feel good after all the walking and exercise, some smaller women, one a good bit older, others a bit pudgy. 6 foot something Roger, retired Steve Montana (I become “sabbatical Steve.”), somewhat odd Sam. Thought fleetingly about lying about who I am/what I do, but never really took that seriously.

Night ends with Sam asleep and my flipping between baseball playoffs and college football, as it was too early to sleep. Heard from Alicia about homecoming pictures etc.

10/20      7:55pm
Exhausted in sleeping bag.

Left at 8am for 1.5 hour drive to trailhead. Turned at good ol’ Food Lion, from our VA days, went a bit and then turned around for a bathroom stop. Got to trailhead, needed to wait for food run to midpoint, saw beautiful falls, waited, waited, waited, had faux turkey wraps, finally left Kasia behind to watch the food runners packs, and waited more, as rest of us left. Many people at Whitewater Falls (highest falls east of Rockies) where we started, asking where we were going. Some in our crew felt more at ease trumpeting what we were up to than I was, who still felt like, “what am I doing here?” Pictures taken in front of the falls.

I’ve been saying, “Watch for bears” but I should have been saying “stairs.” Many, murderous, up and down and slippery, pack heavy and worrying (and according to SJS, too small). Over 23K steps on the day, slipping and sliding, only fell once. Wanted to say “I’m like Baryshnikov — but he didn’t carry a child on his back!”

Got to camp at 4:45. Plenty of water, learned how to filter and fill. Set up tent, then had help setting it up right! Dinner of quesadillas — had two. Then my anxiety: Can a bear shit in the woods? Yes, and much better than I can! Solution (so I think): daylight, so I can see what I’m doing. After losting my TP bag and then finally finding it, made my way back to tent, climbed in for night. Didn’t even say goodnight.

So far it has been nice to be out, exhausting, and not sure I can say fun. Really nice folks (some a bit too talkative/jokey for me, but still), good leadership. But more difficult than this city boy may appreciate.

10/22
Sunday night was terrible: on slopes and rocks, sleeping bag not right, tent very small, confining. Felt great anxiety, remembered Gayle and her church claustrophobia, and opened rain fly to get fresh air; that helped a lot. But not much sleep and a midnight run to bathroom. Thought going to bed at 8pm didn’t help. Too early when in bed until 6:30am. Discovered later it was a rough place for many of us to sleep because of slope.

Got up earlier than most and got gear together. Breakfast burritos and finally on road by 9:30am. Got 3+ miles in by 1pm, with 5+ to go. Simply brutal, step after step after step, 288 up by one reckoning, and at least many going down.

Everything hurt, especially left big toe and nipples, and later, right shoulder. I was way behind themain group, but ahead of the last group, had no idea where anyone was, or where camp was. Thought for awhole that I missed it because it was taking so long, and had gone past the river several times. “Walk by faith and not by sight,” “Walk by faith and not by sight.” Finally saw poles in an arrow pointing off the trail. Applause. I needed a lot of help with my tent, and received more concern than usual about my health. Once I got settled in bag after dinner, Steve Montana said the tent still was right, but I just couldn’t get out and said I’d chance it. It listed portside, but didn’t capsize, which is good because we had a lot of rain this morning and I’m not sure what the protocol is — again. Do we go out right away? Take down tents? Didn’t matter in the end, as the rain stopped before the day started.

10/23 7:30PM
On Sunday, SJS dropped his walkie talkie off of a bridge. Christie bared her feet, entered the cold water and retrieved it, making her the day’s hero!

Once we started, I really moved. I was the first to take off, mindful of how slow I can be, and later, Kasia, one of our strongest hikers, said she could barely keep up. “This is why the Tour de France has stages, for time trial-ers like me, and mountain racers like you!” While I harbored illusions of being the first to cross the 265 foot suspension bridge, I petered out some and others passed. The bridge was well made, appeared safe, and was not a source of anxiety at all for me. At that point we’d been through so much that it didn’t seem like a big deal at all. It was a beautiful place, beautiful sight.

For many, the steps on Tuesday were the hardest of all we faced. Guide Bruce said we wouldn’t see anything harder. But I felt really good at the end of the day. Ejaculatory prayer upon looking up at flight of stairs going up the side of a mountain: Lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy. Lord, have mercy. Thought “Too bad those who don’t think I swear or mutter can’t hear that.” This after a day when Roger ascended saying “Son of a Bitch, Steve” with every step, and we were told by SJS that (a) he doesn’t like using the star system to grade hikes, but people demanded it; and (b) he would have to upgrade this from two stars to three or four. It was harder than he remembered from seven years ago.

 I had slept well on Monday night (poorly but not terrible on Tuesday). The cold morning meant long pants, which I wore all day, at most unzipping to create vents at the knee.

Continual pack issues, especially regarding tent placement and weight. But I think today Dan resolved much except for the water bladder position. I need to remember that whatever mileage we plan for in the morning, we’ve extended by about 2 miles, to get to next camp and make the next day easier. Yesterday (Tuesday) was no problem. Today, Wednesday, an easier day, became closer to 8 miles and while sloping, it kicked my butt. I think it was the water — I couldn’t get as much through my tube. Felt terrible on reaching camp, felt great once I’d had about a liter of water.

“What do you like best, ascending or descending?” “Whichever I’m not on right now.”

Because of Julie’s departure, I’m now the slowest hiker without experience (Roger is slower, but has done this a lot) so guide Bruce walks with me. Nice guy, patient, knows a ton. Sometimes I don’t really want to stop and look at a flower and learn its history, but… Debra makes avoiding Bruce’s companionship on the trail her motivation. Dan says “There are people who are okay with questions and not knowing, and others who have to know. Bruce has to know, and he has to share.” Neither of these are said with antipathy toward Bruce (well, Dan’s certainly isn’t), but the stopping and listening with 45 lbs on your back is just not our cup of tea. I did get to see an old still, broken but clearly visible, just shy of camp, thanks to Bruce, as well as learn about a variety of plants and some history.

Tuesday, my “What is that smell?” moment, when I have to stop and realize that it is me.

Tuesday campfire, I had about six marshmallows, almost made it to Hiker’s Midnight (9pm) slept poorly, so on Wednesday, despite campfire, I didn’t have any and was in bed by around 7pm because it was so cold. Might have stayed out with the hearty ones otherwise, who were up and laughing quite awhile, but it was FREEZING out there. Turns out that they had gotten the fire started finally, making it a bit more bearable. Instead, I started another bad night.

On Tuesday, Debra showed Montana Steve and I the muscadine, a wild grape that grows in vines along the ground. We each ate one according to her instructions. You apply gentle pressure and it pops in your mouth, leaving fruit which you eat and a seed you spit out. It was good. But neither Montana nor I could understand Debra’s TN accent as she tried to tell us what this thing was called. She finally had to spell it. So Thursday night we start to explain the muscadine to folks, but it ends up that Debra and I are just laughing hysterically and making no sense to ourselves, let alone anyone else. Kept us warm, and laughing in good humor is always good for the soul.

Got lost, again, using bathroom at night. Couldn’t find tent for longest time. Getting better at going to bathroom in woods: use tree as a guide. Sandy soil is such a gift!

Very cold evening. Wear long johns, t-shirt, socks. Now too hot in 300 bag. Getting comfortable at night all but eludes me on entire trip. Finally sleep, burrowed into bag. Wake up in a panic as I can’t find my way out. Remember Steve Montana’s story of being sealed in his bag, use that to calm down and swim to surface.

Blister on left big toe. Dan treats the dirty smelly thing (my toe, not the blister!) twice, once with a regular bandaid, then with moleskin. I finally use a special bandaid Alicia gave me. Once started it really isn’t an issue. One day tweaked my left knee going under a tree. Bruce, accompanying me, was concerned. I was too, but soon forgot about it all together. Two Alleve every night goes a long way!

Pack feeling less uncomfortable, especially around nipples. Only occasionally have to shift socks I’ve placed over them. Helps that I’ve probably dropped a bra size by now!

Everyday I want to call home. I want to hear Alicia’s voice. I want to tell her what we did that day. I want to tell her to come and bring me home.

Glad I spent so much time on Mindwalking, choosing poetry and Biblical verses, finding a book. Because I barely touch any of it. In bed and exhausted so early, dark by 7, tent to low to sit up, arms tired if extended up, arms tired if resting on them too long. A few poems, a few mindwalks, mostly a lot of “We walk by faith and not by sight. We walk by faith and not by sight.” Hours on end of it, as I’m alone much of the day while hiking.”

It is not a good sign when every day you count down how many days you have left.
It is not a good sign when you count how many more times you have to poop in the words.
Still, at least now I can!

Is this a marathon, once and done? Everyone asking, “Would you do this again?”
You don’t ask a mother in the delivery room if she is going to have another!

Interesting how the body adjusts. Rather than a BM two or three times in a day, I only go once.
Wish I could also adjust my waking early: 5:50am every morning, still dark, still have to go to the bathroom, and still have almost two hours until camp life begins.

I say I don’t know if I’d do this again. I don’t like the sleeping or pooping outside. (and boy, do you talk bodily functions with ease while camping; I’ve not written/said “poop” etc this much since the kids were little!). But I notice what equipment, style, accoutrements that I like, and list them;
Pack: right-sized, more outer pockets, more outer loops; make sure straps are properly fitted
Tent: bigger, easier to put up (less stakes, ½ dome?), more upright space
Poles: life savers — literally!
Boots: current seem fine, confined blister area, broken in!
Headlamp: like Daniel’s; changed batteries mid-week: what a difference!
Sleeping Bag: warm, less bulky
Sleeping Bag sack/reversible pillow
Tilley Hat: generally good, harder on ascents (trying to look up)
Full fleece rather than vest, and perhaps my Columbia rather than fleece; there are other ways to cover arms, but when it is cold it is cold
Tarp/tyvek/shower curtain for ground cover in sleeping and sitting

Thursday 10/24
Too cold to be outside, especially if not drinking anything warm so as to avoid potty stop at night. Sam sawing serious logs. Debra is closer than usual because of space limitations; she is usually at a distance to avoid snoring.

5 miles before lunch, then dinner at 1:30 because no water available later. Pasta/tortellini and sauce, very good, but left my stomach feeling a little uncertain. Felt it, but all was ok.

On hike, Bruce explains metabolism of hike, how it slowly kicks in. Explains my hunger pangs of the night before.

More Escher stairs, but not as bad as before. Tell people that that will be my next tattoo!

More Mission Impossible moments, doing my impression of Tom Cruise twisting through laser beams, except we are using tree branches — and a child strapped to our backs.

Songs of the Day:
Over the Hills and Far Away
How Great Thou Art

Staying in dispersed stealth camp, on spine of hill, just off the trail but over ridge. High winds and cold at campsite because of exposed position, many of us tenting farther down hill and out of wind. Debra hoping to get arrested, even if it takes slapping an officer, so she can spend night in warm drunk tank. Changed headlamp batteries. What a difference!

Tomorrow (Friday) our last full day. Will be a hard one, but not sure how hard. Didn’t feel too bad after 7+ miles today.

First real religion talk, mostly Kasia and some Martha, about Catholicism and Pope (Kasia) and Episcopal (Martha)


Dreams
  • of falling during night.
  • First dreams of waking up and thinking I am outside on trail. Happen repeatedly, and are very jarring. Without glasses, see rocks and trees and vines surrounding me, often I’m at a tilted angle. Very disturbing.
  • African American man, dress shirt, loosely knotted tie, in office with file cabinets. Informed that he has been laid off, losing job. Takes with equanimity, not passivity or resignation, but acceptance.
  • Animated appearance of different kinds of eyes (a single eye) scrolling against black background of stars, a la Star Wars. Not all of the eyes are human. Most memorable is a hawk, or is it an Egyptian hieroglyph? As there is a bright Powerpoint-like pulse of brightness, I hear “You’ve got to cry out loud, cry out loud, cry out loud.” Repeated with each eye as it scrolls. Spent a lot of time pondering this, after jarringly awakened and after.

Friday 10/25
Felt more in swing of life, people, hiking, camping today. Started to get my legs on Wednesday but lack of water cost me. Thursday feeling pretty good at end, and even more true today. Stomach a little iffy, finally got to use bathroom in daylight. I’ll see what that means for the morning when I get there.

We made the summit of the highest mountain in SC, some 3K feet. Hardly as high as several other mountains I’ve been on, whether the Rockies or Snowmass. But never before have I had to go from the ground up — and down —on foot. Somehow it felt like I earned the ascent more than ever before. The hope was to have a group photo up there, meaning that we all got a nice break up there as we waited for folks behind us to make it, lying on the ground in the sun, and following the sun as it moved. Which is to say, it took a while, and in the end, no group photo, just a lot of individual ones. Finally we started on our way, stopping at an observation point for a gorgeous view.

As we turned to get back on the trail, I looked to see what time it was. No watch. I had looked, I thought, while on the summit, so I turned back to look, finding Roger and Bruce but no watch. Hypotheses abound: wrist straps on poles, bag on and off, the pins holding the watchband on. But no watch. Not a big deal during the day, but I already know it will make my night more complicated. I originally wasn’t even going to bring it, but thought maybe I’d need it. And I really did, not as I hiked (when I didn’t even wear it the first few days), but for those long nights in the tent, wondering if it was ever going to end. Now I’d need my headlamp and pedometer; do-able, but an added bother.

At some point before lunch, Bruce and I walked together for a bit. He asked if I wanted to take the rolling hills of the trail, or a parallel gravel road that was the same distance, just level. Here was my chance to be a purist or not, I guess. Realizing it was the same distance, that I had walked a parallel path before without feeling any guilt, and that I wasn’t walking the whole Foothills Trail anyway, I took the level. And I felt just fine.

Hard time finding a place to camp. Finally ended among boulders that remind me of Gettysburg’s Devil’s Den. Tight squeeze, hard to set up properly, but my tent is not far from campfire, which turned out to be a fun spot after dinner. Some discussion about whether the two miles to Table Rock will be worth it tomorrow. Can we leave our packs? Is it uphill?

Saturday 10/26
Stayed up a bit later than usual, enjoying the campfire and the company. Found out (after finally reading her cold weather hat) that she went to Skidmore, so I grilled her about that for Daniel. The tent tipped during the night, leaving me with the not-so-happy coffin feel. But the ground was sandy, making bathroom stops a little easier. Getting into camp earlier yesterday allowed one such trip in the afternoon, so I wondered if my usual morning routine would be necessary. It was. Lost track of pedometer and headlamp a few times during the night, leading to searching and frustration. But the night finally ended, and folks were eager to get moving; we left by 8:30, earliest ever.

We hit the side trail where we would turn to Table Rock. No one took that path, some took another side route for a different view. We would have to leave our packs for Table Rock, and we would have to go uphill. My decision, surprisingly for me, was quick and decisive: no. My objective was not to see anything in particular, it was to FINISH. Nothing that would jeopardize, threaten or make harder than it already was would be acceptable. And whatever others’ reasons might be, I was not alone.

However wonderful Table Rock might be, the sight we did see from an outcropping of rock, was simply stunning. We had photos taken with the mountains and valleys behind us. Dan got close to the edge, but when he started to talk to the three of us who were there, we said “Sorry, we can’t hear you. You are too close to the edge for us to concentrate.” He had already proved himself to be a great guide, and this cemented it. He stepped closer and said his job was not to make us uncomfortable. No fuss, no complaining or passive-aggression. Just recognition of who we were, and what his responsibility was.

Off and on I walked with Debra and Martha. At one point they got a bit out in front of me. One end of the descending circular path was made up of rocks, water, and branches, over and over, level by level. My foot slipped, and my body fell between rocks and fallen trees, with my leg in the area of the running water. I wasn’t feeling wet, but I couldn’t see, and worse, I couldn’t move to free myself. I felt like a turtle on my back, and I was not enjoying it one bit. My first few efforts amounted to nothing, finally I got my pole on a trunk enough to push me toward rock, and I freed myself. Later I thought, “Should I have blown my whistle for help?” but I knew that someone would show up behind me eventually if I hadn’t gotten out.

As they were taking a break, I caught Debra and Martha, and left when they did. The path got a little confusing, with blazes indicating a new park, the Foothills Trail, and something we never found out about, and what was to be blue according to our guides looked more green. Debra was at the lead, and worrier that she is, fretted the last few miles that we had gone the wrong way. We saw a lot of people, a lot of kids, rough estimates of our distance to the parking lot. It was a nice entrance with rocks and water among the trees, although Montana Steve felt it was an inappropriate entrance. When we reached a well-constructed and smooth, level footbridge, I knew we were close. We emerged, to see Julie — looking so different, clean and dressed like a civilian! — waving at us from a visitor center. As I had promised myself, I went to use the bathroom even if I didn’t need to use the bathroom! She directed us across the street to picnic tables where a few of our companions were already digging into crackers, peanut butter, and peanut butter-chocolate. Sam had gone three miles the wrong way. It was a late lunch, and the thrill of victory was met not by a cigar but by hunger. Julie said there was a gift shop at the top of a hill, and while at first I had no interest in walking further, after eating I felt like it was time to get back on the trail, as I had for over a week. So Sam and I walked, then gave up, only to find the gift shop 100 yards away. I bought a magnet that had the summit’s height and other data, to put on the fridge to remind me of how far I’d walked and to discourage eating away all that I’d gained. Then we waited for our rides to show up, and Annie and I joined Dan in his truck. She had to sit over the stick shift, which made things a little …dicey… for she and Dan, and I had to have my arm around her the whole time, without my seatbelt. But it was a fun ride, and no offense, I didn’t really want to go back with Bruce.

On reaching the motel, we got our rooms and bags, and once I got in the shower I wasn’t in as long as I expected. I did use A LOT of shampoo and conditioner! I had tried to talk to Alicia on getting my phone, but she had to do something, so she called me back while I was in the bathroom post-shower. Clean shorts and a polo later, I went down to get weighed in and drop off my bear bag.

I had planned to change into long pants, but shorts had felt fine on my brief trips outside to dump my pack and other things in the car. Met some guy who was interested in the trip, and introduced him to SJS with “do you buy my dinner if I get a new participant?” Turns out the guy has guided others and was interested in how to do what SJS did. Anyway, ended up going to the same restaurant, in shorts — and really should have changed. Then Debra and I panicked a little when we saw the hamburgers, which looked huge. Fortunately they were big in diameter but very thin, so not so terrible. I never knew that I appreciated the thickness of a burger so much! SJS presented certificates with our data, I think I got mine second.

  • Hiking 46 miles (should have been 47 because of lost watch trip)
  • Losing 10.2 pounds of fat, 3.5% body fat
  • Change of 1.6 pounds of lean body mass

Then we each got a set gift (1st trip: hat; 2nd trip: shirt; 3rd: bandana; 4th:  dri-wear shirt; and beyond that : choose.) So I got a hat that says “Fitpacking” on it, and as a door prize, three small packs of ranch dressing, because I liked the chicken wraps we had one day. A few speeches were made, but it was so hard to hear, that I missed more than I heard.
The next morning I was raring to go. Had a bigger than usual breakfast (we’d been warned about our metabolism), shook a towel-wrapped Sam’s hand, said bye to Bruce, and hit the road early. Went to Walmart and then the airport to find things as gifts for family (pin and thimble at airport).

Highly appropriate line heard from audio book: “You have experienced one of life’s rarest gifts: an adventure.
Pat Conroy, South of Broad.

After experiences of not being able to understand TN and SC accents, saw some guy in rest stop restroom who was talking at length to me but I had no idea what he said, except for “3 millimeters.” Finally, after we had walked outside and gotten to our cars, I realized he was talking about a kidney stone!

Tried to go back to Stateville for BBQ, but couldn’t find the place I went before. Passed Davidson College and thought of Wiley’s, before finding my best BBQ of the trip, at Due South BBQ in Christianburg VA. Found out days later that Betsy and Anna Wiley were near Davidson as I drove by!

On my return, Philadelphia Inquirer article on exhibit soon to attend:
Fernand Le’ger, Cubist Painter        “How emergence of modern art has reshaped western society”
Edward J. Sozankski, “Le’ger and the intensely modern”

“If pictorial expression has changed, it is because modern life has necessitated it. The existence of modern creative people is much more intense and more complex than that of people in earlier centuries…. The view, through the door of the railroad car or the automobile windshield, in combination with the speed, has altered the habitual look of things… The compression of the modern picture, its variety, its breaking up of forms, are the result of all this.”

Weeks later, folks continue to ask about hike, ask if I’d do it again. Stuck to my “don’t ask mother in delivery room,” but find I’m considering it more and more. Biggest hurdles: sleeping in tent wasn’t great, and expense of equipment. Diane Millick pointed out that it is the initial outlay that is expensive, and relatively cheap thereafter. Jim Millick spoke of thicker air mattresses that, of course, weigh more. Perhaps I’ve gotten to the stage of holding the baby and forgetting the pain that got me there! And I would do Fitpacking again, or something like it, for the expertise on hand primarily, but also the camaraderie — even if I didn’t take it all in, introvert that I am.

Schedule
Saturday, October 19, 2013           dinner at a local restaurant

Sunday, October 20, 2013             #1
Second set of "before" measurements, Begin the hike at Whitewater Falls (elevation 3,000’)
Descend to the Whitewater River and hike to the Thompson River, Camp at the Thompson River, elevation 2,000’
Today’s mileage: 5.0. Total miles: 5.0
L:         Black bean wraps with guacamole, rice and cheese, S:        Tortellini and red sauce

Monday, October 21, 2013             #2
Hike 8.4 miles crossing the Horsepasture River on a 65’ suspension bridge and past Hilliard Falls to Bear Creek
Camp at Bear Creek, elevaton 1,700’
Miles today: 8.4. Total miles: 13.4
B:         Fiesta egg burritos, L:         Tofurkey and cheese wraps, S:        Chicken (real or fake) quesadillas
 Tuesday, October 22, 2013          #3           camp at Toxaway Creek (We may stay here instead of Rock Creek)
Hike 5.9 miles to the Toxaway River, (headwaters for Lake Jocassee), Cross the Toxaway River on a 225’ suspension bridge
Hike 1.9 miles along the lakeshore, up and over heartbreak ridge to Rock Creek, Camp at Rock Creek, elevation 1,300’
Miles today: 7.8. Total miles: 21.2
B:         Grits bar (w/bacon bits, shredded cheese, butter powder, milk powder, miso, sugar, craisins), L:      Cheese and Wasa crackers
S:        Quinoa with garlic, onion, pepper, zucchini and pine nuts, Dessert: S’mores (possibly Wed instead)

Wednesday, October 23, 2013     #4
Hike 3.9 rolling miles to another lake access point, Hike 1.2 miles past Laurel Fork Falls to Laurel Fork Creek campsite
Camp at Laurel Fork Creek, elevation: 1,380’
Today’s miles: 5.1. Total miles: 26.3, camp at Laurel Fork Falls
B:         Oatmeal, craisins, nuts, chocolate chips, L:         Hummus with red bell pepper and monterey jack/pepper jack cheese
S:        Red beans and rice with onion, bell pepper, sun-dried tomatoes and TVP sausage


Thursday, October 24, 2013         #5
Hike 6.9 miles past Virginia Hawkins Falls to Highway 178, Ascend 1.6 miles to undesignated (stealth)/dispersed camp site
Today’s miles: 8.5. Total miles 34.8. Elevation 2,300’
B:         Spiced rice pudding with cinnamon, brown sugar, nuts and raisins      L: Chicken salad wraps with craisins, pecans and ranch S:        Pasta with onion, bell pepper sun-dried tomatoes, herbs and cheese sauce with dehydrated TVP chicken



Friday, October 25, 2013                                #6
Ascend 3.2 miles to summit of Sassafras Mountain, SC highest peak, elevation 3,560’, Descend 4.3 miles to the Lighthouse
Camp at the Lighthouse, elevation: 2,700’
Today’s miles: 7.5. Total miles: 42.3
B:         Hash browns with onion, bell pepper, sun-dried tomatoes and TVP sausage; L:         Tuna wraps
S:        Chili mac and cheese with TVP beef and taco seasoning

Saturday, October 26, 2013           #7
Hike 2.5 miles to the Table Rock spur Trail, 3 mile (round trip) day hike without packs to summit of Table Rock
Descend 1.6 steep miles to Table Rock State Park, elevation: 1,120’
Today’s miles: 7.1. Total miles: 49.4
Shuttle to hotel; After measurements taken, Dinner and awards Ceremony
B:        Apple pie pudding with graham cracker crumbles, cinnamon, brown sugar and powdered milk
L:         Peanut butter and Wasa crackers (in parking lot at Table Rock State Park)


Participants

·         Debra ‘Cous-Cous’ T., Lenore City [Knoxville], TN (Great Smoky Mountains 2011 & 2012, Ouachita Trail 2011) — funny, outgoing, former case worker who was able to retire early, didn’t look it, but could really get going

·         Kasia B., Chicago, IL (AZ Four Peaks Wilderness 2010, Cumberland Island 2010 & 2012, Florida Trail 2011 & 2012, Great Smoky Mountains 2011, NJ Pine Barrens 2012, Ouachita Trail 2011 & 2012, & Joshua Tree 2013) — addicted to hiking and loves Fitpacking; later trailnamed “Mighty Mouse” for small stature and powerful walking; graphic designer from Poland (here 16 years)
·         Steve S., Allentown, PA
·         Steve M., Missoula, MT — retired professor from Montana State (?) in park management; nice guy, very helpful on tent set-up, but tendency to tell his story to every other story; has hiked throughout world
·         Julie H., Abbeville, SC —most like me in terms of experience and readiness, dropped out after a few days but came back with trail magic and transportation
·         Annie B., Clarendon Hills [Chicago], IL (Adirondacks 2008) — unhappy with job but just accepted into a MURP program, Skidmore grad,24 years old, overweight, but a strong hiker who has also hiked in France and China.
·         Martha E., Atlanta, GA (GA Appalachian Trail Primer 2012, Great Smoky Mountains 2013) — older, ATT employee, good hiker, quiet, insightful; nice seating pad everyone envied
·         Kristy W., Charleston, WV : another person like me, but a stronger hiker, mother of young children who took this as her week’s vacation
·         Sam P., Newton [Boston], MA (White Mountain National Forest 2013) — hotel roommate; 28 years old, Asperger’s?; new equipment, very strong hiker
·         Roger ‘Studman’ J., Clarksville, MD (Olympic 2007, Shenandoah 2008 & 2010, North Cascades 2009, Mt. Rainier 2010, AZ Four Peaks Wilderness 2011, GA Appalachian Trail Primer 2011, NJ Pine Barrens 2012, Mt. Rushmore 2013) — originally bit of a loudmouth and seemed obnoxious, but he quieted down, became less annoying and better company; lawyer, recognized people didn’t understand his sense of humor; bad back and knee but perservered (1# stool he used frequently on trail and at site)
·         Dan S., Marshfield [Boston], MA (Assistant Guide) — part-time youth hiking leader and editor in Spanish (after having taught for a few years); 37 years old; great guide and company, his first Fitpacking trip; fun trip with him and Annie on way back to hotel
·         Bruce C., Columbia, SC (Guide) — counselor, head of county of mental health, long time boy scout leader, maintains 6 mi of Foothills; knows a lot, is very gentle guide, but does like to stop and talk, even on trail!
·         Steve S., Hull [Boston], MA (Guide) — software designer/trail guide/owner; great guide, very patient with us, good humor
                                                                                                                                                                                               
Dreams
  • of falling during night.
  • First dreams of waking up and thinking I am outside on trail. Happen repeatedly, and are very jarring. Without glasses, see rocks and trees and vines surrounding me, often I’m at a tilted angle. Very disturbing.
  • African American man, dress shirt, loosely knotted tie, in office with file cabinets. Informed that he has been laid off, losing job. Takes with equanimity, not passivity or resignation, but acceptance.
  • Animated appearance of different kinds of eyes (a single eye) scrolling against black background of stars, a la Star Wars. Not all of the eyes are human. Most memorable is a hawk, or is it an Egyptian hieroglyph? As there is a bright Powerpoint-like pulse of brightness, I hear “You’ve got to cry out loud, cry out loud, cry out loud.” Repeated with each eye as it scrolls. Spent a lot of time pondering this, after jarringly awakened and after.

No comments:

Post a Comment