Thursday, June 5, 2014

What’s in Your Pocket?





To all the Saints,
Grace to you all, and peace!

Many of you may remember the credit card commercials in which a group of Vikings growl, “What’s in your wallet?” Trying to be more broadminded than many people who lived in the 8th century, I’ll ask you instead, “What’s in your pocket?”
In early January, shortly after my return from sabbatical and in the midst of my cataract recovery, family and friends traveled to Washington DC to hear my daughter sing with the Westminster College Chorus in the National Cathedral. We were proud of her even in anticipation of their performance, and not wanting to late, we left in plenty of time, so much so that we had ample time to visit the Cathedral’s spacious gift shop.
In several places there were baskets, filled with smooth oval stones in a variety of colors, and on closer examination, a variety of faith-full words on one side and a thumb-sized indentation hollowing the other. I let the stones fall through my fingers, and my eyes “chanced” upon the words. Of course, in faith we recognize it is hardly chance at all. A striking black one, the word long forgotten, stood on the threshold of purchase, and in a heartbeat replaced. A light green stone, “pistachio” I’m told, with the word Trust has been gracing my pocket ever since. And I do mean gracing. Over the years, some of you may have noticed that in presbytery and committee meetings I often have a set of prayer beads or a cross in my hands. I am a tactile person, appreciating touch, and this is a way to pray while paying attention. Though commonly called a “worry stone,” for me it is just the opposite.
In these sometimes tumultuous times in which we live, what color stone is in your pocket, spiritually, and why? Green is my favorite color, and for me, signifying tranquility, so that was an easy choice. What about you? And what does it say? Might it be love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness or self-control? Or something else? And why? — in gratitude for having received that gift, or to ask for it? Or are you feeling weighed down by what is in your pocket, or heart, any of the many human emotions or responses that lead us away from God? Is this a stone to discard, so you can reach into the basket for another? Or is it too hard to let go of?
“O Lord, you have searched me and known me,” writes the Psalmist, and truth is, often we are the last to know something about ourselves. Lent is the perfect time ask, “What’s in my pocket?”

God is all in all,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment